The Social Media and Communications Specialist (SMCS) is responsible for administering and coordinating the APA’s social media accounts and digital presence, as well as other communication tools, including the website, email dissemination platform, newsletters, press releases, and more. The SMCS will be responsible for creating original text and video content, managing posts, and responding to followers. The SMCS will support the APA’s messaging in a cohesive way to achieve branding goals. The SMCS is expected to be up to date with the latest digital and social media technologies and trends, have excellent writing and communication skills, and be able to express the APA’s message creatively. This position will include thoughtful, consistent collaboration with other team members as it relates to the production and dissemination of high-quality publications, new media strategies, marketing materials, and overall brand management to support the APA. The ideal candidate will have strong aesthetic instincts for digital layouts and publishing and an exceptional eye for detail, a keen understanding of major social media platforms’ tools and distinct uses, and a passion for digital strategy, results, and analytics.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Oversee the APA’s online social media efforts including the APA’s blog, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, You Tube, and Tik Tok platforms.
- Develop, implement, and support the APA’s social media strategy.
- Work with staff to identify and create digital content that amplifies messaging and the APA brand.
- Identify ways to strategically utilize the APA’s network (i.e., Board of Directors, volunteers, supporters) to reinforce efforts.
- Stay up to date on latest social media best practices, technologies, and trends.
- Track and collect data that evaluates communications and engagement activities including social media, email, and website analytics, create measurement reports, and offer recommendations for improvement.
- Craft high-quality internal and external written materials, including but not limited to press releases, media advisories, newsletters, success stories, blog posts, fundraising campaigns, and marketing materials.
- Provide support for all internal and external communications as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 3+ years of successful professional communications experience
- Experience and proficiency with InDesign, Photoshop, WordPress, Constant Contacts (or similar email automation program), and other forms of content creation applications
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Creative and critical thinker with strong ability to tell a compelling and engaging story
- Robust understanding of building, managing, and improving a brand
- Deep knowledge of the latest trends in social media and marketing
- Ability to be nimble and thrive in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, and effectively manage multiple tasks
- Strong organizational and project management skills, as well as superior attention to detail
- Meticulous writing and editing skills
- Experience with analytics and measurement tools
- Independence and self-confidence to act decisively and, at the same time, an ability to receive, integrate, and translate others’ ideas and suggestions.
The Animal Protective Association of Missouri (APA) is an innovative and progressive leader in animal welfare, dedicated to bringing people and pets together, advancing humane education, and creating programs beneficial to the human-animal bond. With a nearly 100-year history in the St. Louis region, the APA helps over 4,000 pets find safe loving homes each year. Thousands more are helped through wellness, outreach, and supportive programs that keep pets healthy and with the people who love them.
The APA is committed to being a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace where all employees and volunteers feel valued and respected. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunities for employment, growth, and advancement in all areas of the organization.
The culture of the APA is built on trust, compassion, accountability, joy, support, and respect. We continually invest in the personal and professional growth of our team members and value innovation and new ideas that make it possible for us to meet the needs of the community we serve.
The APA offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package to support the health and wellbeing of our employees and their families. The starting compensation range for this position is $35,000 – $40,000 per year plus benefits.
Interested applicants should complete an application or submit a resume using the form below.