Rehoming Your Pet
If circumstances still require you to find a new home, it is often ideal if you first attempt to rehome the pet yourself rather than taking it to a shelter:
- Check with family, friends, neighbors, and coworkers. Someone you already know may be willing to give them a home.
- Share online, but exercise caution with people you do not know.
- Rehome is a great tool where you can create a profile and have your pet featured on www.adoptapet.com. You can then review applications for people interested in adding your pet to their family.
Rehoming Via the APA
If you have exhausted these options, please fill out the form below. We will contact you to make an appointment to surrender your pet which helps us plan ahead, while reducing stress and time spent in the shelter. Please follow these guidelines:
- You must have a photo ID to surrender a pet.
- If available, please bring your pet’s medical records. If your dog does not have a current distemper vaccine, we ask that you acquire one and wait at least 3 days. Current vaccines help your pet remain healthy so they can get adopted faster.
- All pets from outside of Missouri must have a health certificate from a veterinarian.
- Complete a profile for your dog, or cat and bring it with you to your surrender appointment.
These fees help us care for your pet and get them ready for adoption.
- Single pet for St. Louis City or County resident: $30
- Single pet outside of St. Louis City or County: $60
- Litter (under 4 months of age): $100
At the APA, every adoptable pet finds a home. We are committed to socially conscious sheltering, and there are circumstances where an animal is not a candidate for adoption. Our veterinarians may determine the animal is suffering and there is not a treatable way to restore quality of life. Furthermore, we cannot place animals with aggression issues that are dangerous to other members of the community. We love animals and are here to help. If you have additional questions or would like to speak with an adoption counselor, call 314-645-4510.
SURRENDER YOUR PET
Please complete the form below. It may take approximately 3 days for us to respond. If you have a safety concern for you or your pet, or an urgent need to surrender, please call our front desk at 314-645-4610.