Reading with Rescues: Fostering Love and Literacy at APA Olivette
We are thrilled to announce a heartwarming addition to our APA Olivette family: the Reading with Rescues program. This brand new Humane Education initiative is designed to make a positive impact in the lives of both shelter animals and our fellow community members. At APA Olivette, we believe in the power of books and furry friends, and Reading with Rescues is the perfect fusion of the two.
The Magic of Reading to Animals
Reading with Rescues at APA Olivette is an in-shelter reading program that aims to provide a therapeutic and enriching experience for our shelter animals. It’s not just about reading; it’s about creating a connection, offering comfort, and reducing the stress and boredom experienced by our furry residents.
Benefits for the Animals:
1. Comfort and Companionship: The presence of a reader offers our animals the comfort of human companionship.
2. Reduces Boredom: Boredom is a common issue in shelters. The soothing sound of a human voice and the presence of an engaged reader can alleviate stress and anxiety in our animal friends.
3. Acclimation to People: Reading sessions help shy or frightened animals gradually acclimate to the presence of people, making them more open to potential adopters.
4. Increases Exposure: Regular reading sessions expose our animals to a broader audience, increasing their chances of finding their forever homes.
Benefits for People:
1. Practice Reading Skills: Reading with Rescues provides an excellent opportunity for individuals of all ages to practice their reading skills.
2. Observe, Evaluate, and Respond: By reading to animals, you’ll develop the valuable ability to observe, evaluate, and respond to the body language of our furry companions, fostering empathy and understanding.
3. Earn Service Hours: For those looking to fulfill service hour requirements, Reading with Rescues is a fulfilling and meaningful way to do so.
4. Make an Impact: Most importantly, you’ll be making a genuine impact in the lives of animals by providing them with the companionship and comfort they need during their time at the shelter and ultimately, helping them find a home.
Join the Reading with Rescues Program
Reading with Rescues is open to all ages, making it an inclusive opportunity for individuals, families, and community groups. Please note that children under 16 must be accompanied by a guardian.
Training Sessions at APA Olivette
To ensure the safety and comfort of both our readers and animals, all participants are required to complete a training session at APA Olivette. These training sessions will be held on the following dates:
- Saturday, October 28 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- Sunday, November 19 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- Saturday, December 16 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM