Board of Directors Opportunities
Thank you for your interest in the APA’s Board of Directors.
Since 1922, the APA’s mission has been centered on bringing people and pets together. We accomplish this through pet adoption, wellness initiatives and services, educational programming, and community outreach. The APA also engages volunteers, supporters, and partners to maximize resources and reach.
The APA is looking for dynamic, collaborative, passionate, caring people to share their expertise by joining our Board of Directors. We are seeking members who have the following qualities:
- Knowledge and experience that will support the business operations of the APA
- Willingness to dedicate time and resources to the success of the APA
- Ability to help the APA make new connections with community partners and supporters
- Ability to cultivate relationships, provide stewardship, and solicit support for the APA
- Enthusiastically dedicated to integrating social justice issues, such as anti-racism, into our animal welfare goals and mission
- Knowledge of anti-racism, anti-oppression, and equity with experience building safe and equitable spaces
In alignment with our organizational values of anti-racism, equity, and inclusivity it is our intention to have a Board which reflects the diversity of the community we serve.
Specific Board Responsibilities:
- Oversee the APA’s organizational and strategic plans and ensure the APA is being properly managed in accordance with its mission
- Provide important fiscal oversight, including reviewing and approving an annual budget and ongoing review and approval of financials
- Assist with the cultivation of new relationships, including soliciting support from potential community partners and supporters
Board members direct and lead the APA’s vision, mission, and values and work in collaboration with the CEO and other members of leadership. The Board provides strategic guidance and organizational/fiscal oversight.
Board members serve voluntarily for terms of three years. The Board meets every other month with committee meetings occurring in the months when there is no Board meeting. Each Board member is expected to actively participate in at least one committee.
If interested in being considered for the APA Board of Directors, please complete the Board of Directors application below. Please note that if there are no current openings, your information will be retained for future opportunities.
Thank you for your interest in serving on the APA’s Board of Directors. Our passionate Board of Directors work closely with leadership and staff to further our mission of bringing people and pets together. Please complete this application in full. If you prefer to have a conversation with our CEO or a member of our Executive Committee first, please complete the questions marked with an asterisk and someone will be in touch soon.
We appreciate your willingness to share your time, talent, and expertise with us!