Description: The Administrative Assistant is a valued member of the APA and is an essential partner to the CEO and COO. The Administrative Assistant is responsible for a variety of administrative duties that ensure seamless functioning of the organization. Work includes preparation of communication to internal and external stakeholders, scheduling and preparing for meetings and events, ordering office supplies, maintaining merchandise inventory, overseeing maintenance of equipment, and more. This person is a quick thinker and problem solver, is highly organized, and can confidently and proficiently serve as the right-hand to the two most senior-leadership positions in the organization. This position will have a flexible work environment with the option to work remotely or in the office. Starting rate of pay is $17/hour.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide on-going administrative support to the CEO and COO to ensure efficient operation of their departments
- Carries out administrative duties such as filing (digital and hard copy), copying, binding, scanning, and organizing the executive teams’ essential information
- Answers phone calls, schedules meetings, and coordinates on-site visitors/meetings for the executive team
- Exhibits polite and professional communication via phone, email, and mail
- Performs a variety of administrative and clerical tasks including ordering supplies, opening and distributing mail, and processing paperwork
- Manage inventory of APA merchandise
- Ordering and inventory management of employee uniforms, recognition awards, and anniversary gifts
- Assist with preparation for in-shelter events, staff appreciation, annual team outing, holiday party, and meetings, etc. (e.g., order food, secure reservations, handle RSVPs, prepare meeting packets, etc.)
- Assist with correspondence to donors, vendors, volunteers, and other constituent groups
- Ensure operation of equipment by completing preventative maintenance requirements, calling for repairs, and maintaining equipment inventories
- Assist with donor recognition and stewardship tasks (e.g., ordering engraved tags/plaques, donor phone calls, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
Exemplifies the APA’s Core Values:
- Communicates and interacts with others in a way that is polite and professional.
- Is respectful and courteous to others. Assumes best intentions and offers to help when needed. Is receptive to feedback and has direct conversations with teammates when necessary.
- Finds joy and happiness in the work being done at the APA.
- Demonstrates support to others and values the strengths of each team member.
- Shows compassion and empathy for people and animals.
- Is trustworthy and reliable. Can be counted on to perform work with integrity.
Participates in creating a thriving Culture of Philanthropy at the APA by:
- Being knowledgeable and supportive of APA programs.
- Sharing a passion for service to animals, people, and our community with our guests.
- Serving as an inspiration to all guests by providing an exemplary level of animal care and customer service.
- Being able to communicate a compelling case for support that demonstrates the impact of philanthropy at the APA.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Work performed remotely or in an office setting within an animal shelter
- Occasional lifting/moving/carrying of items; must be able to lift/carry up to 25 pounds
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time when needed
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2 years of relevant experience
- Exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills as well as excellent phone etiquette
- Must possess excellent customer service skills
- Must have strong organization skills and a proven ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy environment
- Ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple projects, and attention to detail
- Proficient computer skills and ability to use Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and quickly learn other software, including database systems
- Available to work flexible scheduling, if needed
ABOUT THE APA: The Animal Protective Association of Missouri (APA) is an innovative and progressive leader in animal welfare, dedicated to bringing people and pets together, advancing humane education, and creating programs beneficial to the human-animal bond. With a nearly 100-year history in the St. Louis region, the APA helps over 4,000 pets find safe loving homes each year. Thousands more are helped through wellness, outreach, and supportive programs that keep pets healthy and with the people who love them.
The APA is committed to being a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace where all employees and volunteers feel valued and respected. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunities for employment, growth, and advancement in all areas of the organization.
The culture of the APA is built on trust, compassion, accountability, joy, support, and respect. We continually invest in the personal and professional growth of our team members and value innovation and new ideas that make it possible for us to meet the needs of the community we serve. The APA offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package to support the health and wellbeing of our employees and their families.