APA Temporarily Closing to Public
By: Sarah Javier, Executive Director | March 17, 2020
Effective at 6 p.m. on March 17, the APA is closed to the public until further notice.
As an organization, our primary responsibility is to care for homeless animals – however, that also means caring for the employees and volunteers who care for the animals, as well as members of the public who support our mission and provide safe, loving homes to pets in our care.
In an effort to keep people and pets as healthy and safe as possible, as well as to slow the transmission of COVID-19, we have decided to close the APA to the public effective at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17. Given the rapidly evolving situation, we do not yet know how long this closure will last, but will continue to reassess based on the most current information and recommendations from local, state and federal health authorities. We hope to reopen as soon as possible.
What this public closure means:
- Adoption services will continue by appointment only between the hours of 11 am-5pm. To view our adoptable pets, please visit the adoptable pets page on our website at apamo.org. To schedule an adoption appointment, please call 314-645-4610.
- Effective May 11th our wellness clinic will reopen. We are operating curbside for the health of our employees and customers, so you will not come inside with your pet.
- You can get in line for your pet’s visit here.
- When you arrive at the APA call 314-645-4611 to let us know you’ve arrived.
- Secure your pet in your car (dogs should be on leash and cats in a carrier) and our technician will come out to your car to get them.
- Please wait in your car at the APA during your pet’s wellness visit.
- Please note we are only taking credit card payment over the phone. We will call you when your pet’s visit is complete and bring them back out to your car.
- Volunteer services is closed and all volunteers are asked to remain at home. We are asking volunteers to consider fostering during this time in order to reduce the number of pets requiring care in the shelter.
- Public and in-shelter education classes, tours/visits, and events have been canceled or postponed.
- If someone has a found stray animal, we are encouraging them to take that animal to the Animal Control facility in the city where they found the animal.
- If someone needs to surrender their personal pet, we are asking them to delay surrendering if possible. Our staff can provide assistance and guidance needed to help pets remain in their home. If this is not possible and the situation is an emergency, we will be able to help by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, please call 314-645-4610.
- All events scheduled to occur in March, April and early May have been canceled or postponed. If you have rsvp’d for an event or purchased a ticket, a member of our team will be reaching out to you directly.
Please do not worry about the pets at the APA. Our highly skilled and dedicated team will be ensuring that every animal entrusted to us has all the care, enrichment, and belly rubs needed to keep them healthy and happy.
If you’d like to help, I encourage you to make a donation in honor of the incredible APA staff who will continue to work tirelessly to help animals in our care during this time. You can make a secure, online gift at apamo.org. All gift amounts are welcomed and make a difference!
Thank you for your understanding and continued support.
President and Executive Director